419-862-1070 ext. 210 (Elem)
419-862-2721 ext. 310 (HS/MS)
ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY FOR BYOD AT WOODMORE LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
Woodmore Local School District realizes the important role that technology plays in our district. We are committed to allow responsible use of personal devices at school to increase access to technology and to assist in teaching and learning. Personal devices can enhance and enrich learning opportunities and we are allowing access to our School's Internet for this purpose.
Access to the Woodmore Local School District’s wireless network, whether with school-provided or personal devices, is filtered in compliance with the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA). Access from personal devices is limited to Internet use only. Staff/Students will not have access to any documents that reside on the school network from their personal devices.
It is a privilege for staff/students to access the Woodmore School District wireless network, not a right. Use of the wireless network entails personal responsibility and compliance with all school rules. The use of the Woodmore Schools internet allows our IT staff to monitor use and investigate inappropriate Internet use at any time.
Guidelines for use
- Use of personal devices during the school day is at the discretion of Administration and Teachers. Students must use devices as directed by administration and teachers.
- The primary purpose of the use of personal devices at school is educational. Personal use for personal reasons is secondary.
- Staff/Students shall not distribute pictures or video of students or staff without their permission (distribution can be as small as emailing/texting to one other person or as large as posting image or video online)
- Devices may only be used to access files on computer or Internet sites that are relevant to the classroom curriculum. Games are not permitted, unless otherwise allowed by a teacher for educational reasons. Student must comply with all teacher requests regarding technology, such as shutting down, closing screen, storing, etc. Failure to comply with teacher requests may result in disciplinary action by school administrators
- Unless specifically directed by a teacher, a student turning on or activating a cell phone or other electronic device during testing or assignments will be subject to discipline and confiscation of the device in accordance with that policy.
- Printing from personal laptops or devices will not be possible at school. Alternative methods for printing, such as saving a file to a USB drive and then printing the file from a district computer available for staff/student use is an acceptable solution.
- The use of a personal device is not to be a distraction in any way to teachers or students. Personal devices must not disrupt class in any way.
- Students will refrain from using personal devices outside of their classroom when instructed by teacher and or administration.
- Only the Internet gateway provided by the school may be accessed while on campus. Personal Internet connective devices such as but not limited to cell phones / cell network adapters/ personal modems are not permitted to be used to access outside Internet sources at any time.
- Student acknowledges that the school's network filters will be applied to one's connection to the Internet and student shall make no attempt to bypass/circumvent them, this includes setting up proxies and downloading programs to bypass security.
- Student realizes that activities or unauthorized access of information related to “hacking”, altering, or bypassing security policies is in violation of the Woodmore Local School District Acceptable Use Policy and will result in disciplinary actions.
- Student understands that bringing on premises or infecting the network with a Virus, Trojan, or program designed to damage, alter, destroy, or provide access to unauthorized data or information is in violation of the Woodmore Local School District Acceptable Use Policy and may result in disciplinary actions.
- The school district has the right to collect and examine any device that is suspected of causing problems or being the source of an attack or virus infection.
- Personal devices should be charged prior to school and run on battery power while at school. Woodmore Local Schools will not be responsible for providing charging stations/facilities.
- The use of personal devices falls under the Woodmore Local School Districts Acceptable Use Policy found in the student handbook
Consequences for Misuse/Disruption
(one or more may apply):
- Device taken away for the period
- Device taken away and kept in the front office until parent picks it up
- Student is not allowed to use personal devices at school
- Disciplinary Referral resulting in ISS or OSS
School Liability Statement
Staff/Students bring their devices to use at Woodmere Schools at their own risk. It is their duty to be responsible in the upkeep and protection of their devices.
Woodmore Local School District is in no way responsible for:
- Personal devices that are broken while at school or during school-sponsored activities
- Personal devices that are lost or stolen at school or during school-sponsored activities
- Maintenance or upkeep of any device (keeping it charged, installing updates or upgrades, fixing any software or hardware issues)